There is a serious misconception behind working as a real estate agent. Many people believe the road to a successful real estate career is short and paved with gold. The reality? It is complicated. There are many processes, both legal and non-legal, to get a job as a real estate agent. Once you’ve become licensed, your success largely depends upon your effort and dedication in making connections and growing your network. In this article, we’re showing you how to get started and be on your way to becoming a real estate agent in Alberta.
Qualities of a Successful Real Estate Agent: Self-Evaluation
Before you spend the time and money on the cut-and-dry, you first need to take a look in the mirror. What are your strongest qualities? How can those be an asset (or a curse) to your career in real estate? Below are a few characteristics and skills that highly qualified agents exhibit:
- Ability (both logistically and physically) to work long, odd hours - there are often middle-of-the-night calls and meetings set outside of the traditional 9-5 schedule.
- Outgoing personality - you enjoy being with and around others (clients, colleagues, etc.)
- Integrity of character - you are truly in it for your clients
- Organizational and management skills - you can keep track of meetings and appointments and also track and balance the financial side of real estate
- Ability to read people - your clients come to you with their ideas, and it’s your job to find what they’re looking for (even if they haven’t quite figured it out themselves)
- Communication skills - you will be speaking with clients and colleagues on a daily basis; the ability to effectively convey your thoughts is of the utmost importance. Also, you are responsible for creating the listing descriptions for the properties you sell; spelling and grammar aside, you will want to be able to attract buyers before they see the house in person.
Before you jump into the necessary coursework from the Real Estate Council of Alberta (RECA), you want to verify that you meet the non-realty requirements. To become a real estate agent in Alberta, there are a few basic points that the province asks of all real estate professionals. If you have any questions regarding transfers or equivalent standards, check out the eligibility requirements provided by the RECA.
To apply, the applicant must
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Legally be able to work and study in Canada
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Be a fluent English-speaker
- Hold a Canadian high school diploma (or the equivalent)
- Demonstrate competency with the necessary technology
When someone is ready to apply, they must have all the necessary information on hand and provide proof with their documentation.
Along with a criminal background check, all applicants must show proof of completion for the real estate pre-licensing programs and have scored at least 70% on the provincial qualifying exam. The applicant must also have been hired by a licensed brokerage in order to be approved for licensure. Once this step is complete, the applicant can apply (through their brokerage) for licensure registration with the Real Estate Council of Alberta (RECA). The brokerage will work with you on setting up your myRECA account and initiate the licensing process. Once your course work and application are complete, the last step is to pay your licensing and appraiser application fees on the website. The entire application process is completed on RECA’s website by simply accessing your myRECA account.
The thing about real estate is that barring a major, unprecedented, world-wide cultural shift, people will always need a place to live. There will always be a need for housing. And there will always be a need for real estate professionals to assist home buyers and sellers through the process.
Here at Sweetly Real Estate, our number one focus is to provide our clients with the most efficient and enjoyable real estate transaction process. We do that by finding, hiring, and training real estate professionals who have a passion for serving others. Our team is growing, and we are looking for dedicated agents who are excited about the unique model we offer our clients. If you are an agent looking to join a trail-blazing Edmonton real estate team, we would love to guide you in your journey to becoming a licensed agent. Reach out to us at Sweetly by filling out our form specifically designed for those already in the real estate profession. We offer a sweeter method of real estate for everyone.